Moving House Checklist
We are here to help, there's so much to think about. We’ve put together a moving house checklist to help you keep track of tasks essential to a well-organised and stress-free move.
6-8 weeks before moving
- Plan your moving transportation (AAA Recommended Removalists, AAA Corporate truck hire rates, trailer, friends, etc).
- Contact one of AAA recommended packers if you need help to pack or unpack
- Create a folder to keep a record of everything related to your move (receipts, inventory, etc).
- Include any estimates you may have acquired from Removalists, Truck Hire, Cleaning Services, Gardening Services and Skip Bin Hire
- Confirm a moving date to work towards
- Redirect your mail and fill out a Change of Address form at a post office or online.
- Plan how you will move vehicles, plants, pets and valuables.
- Design and pre-plan your space. Try to establish the exact purpose of every room, this will enable you to pack boxes accordingly – you can use a floor plan or sketch.
- Declutter as you go see our Declutter for life to get you started
- Hold a garage sale, donate, sell, or throw out unnecessary items.
- Ring your Donation Centre to find out next pickup and book in – some only come every 2-3 weeks
- Go to our moving supplies page and organise packing goods required and print out your moving supplies list or email to us and we can pack your required list and have ready for you to pickup
- Include a safe spot box for all the items that will be essential to find quick on the day of your move eg: Kettle, Tea, Coffee, Remote control, paper plates, cutlery, toilet paper, first aid, remote controls, paper towels.
- Purchase one of our Shred-X secure destruction bags. Fill with classified and confidential documents for destruction. Drop the bag to us and it will be securely shredded by a Quality Assured accredited secure document destruction company.
- A destruction certificate is available on request.
- Pre-plan and schedule repairs to be done that you have committed to making.
- Return borrowed or rented items.
- Contact the local council or skip bin hire to clear rubbish
2-4 weeks before moving
- Finalise moving transportation and make necessary arrangements (i.e. helpers).
- Schedule disconnection / connection of utilities at old and new homes ect Phone, Internet, Water, Gas, Electricity
- Discontinue any delivery services, automated payment plans and local memberships (i.e. gym).
- Change your contact details with various service providers (banks, licence, insurance, lawyer.
- If you have a pet, you must change / update its registration with your council.
- Organise new insurance cover for new premises if required
- Create and inventory list – mark each box with a number eg: 1 and then you can list what items can be found in this box – this is essential for shipping or if not unpacking for some time.
- Begin packing non-essential items – books, crockery, and ornaments
- Label boxes by number, room and contents (bathroom, kitchen, laundry, etc) write on the tape not on the box if from AAA Storage and we will recycle and buy your boxes from you.
- Identify valuable items to transfer separately – label as DO NOT MOVE.
- Store valuable items like jewellery and legal documents in a safe place while moving.
- Contact a cleaning service, if you are using one, to ensure they are available on your moving day.
1-2 weeks before moving
- Continue packing and clean as you go.
- Call and confirm all details with the moving company if you are using one.
- Arrange time off work if possible for moving day.
- Disassemble non - essential furniture (desks, shelves, etc.) and wrap it to minimise damage.
- Try to use up perishable food.
- Contact your council about practical things like rubbish collection day.
1-4 days before moving
- Make a schedule or action plan for the day of the move.
- Plan when / how to pick up the truck (if rented).
- Defrost the freezer and clean the fridge.
- Drain fuel from lawn mowers and discard any hazardous or flammable substances that could prove dangerous during the moving process.
- Make sure essential tools are handy (screwdrivers, tape, vacuum cleaner, etc).
- Pack a bag for water bottles, pen/paper, snacks, documents and overnight essentials.
- Set aside boxes / items that you have decided to move yourself.
- Check car tires if you are hiring a trailer and moving things yourself
- Keep your pets happy
- Take a pet travel kit including food and bowls, lead, treats, can opener, a favourite toy and their sleeping rug, blanket or bed.
Moving Day at your Old Home
- Remove bedding and disassemble beds – be sure to pack bedding in your essential items box.
- Take movers/helpers through the house to inform them of what to do.
- Check off all furniture and boxes against your inventory list as they go into the moving truck.
- Complete one last check of the old property to ensure nothing was left behind (i.e.) look behind doors and in cupboards, etc.
- Leave your contact information for new residents to forward mail.
- Make sure the movers have the correct new address and you have their mobile number
- Carry all important items with you (passports, cash, other important documents, etc).
- Lock the windows, doors and turn off the lights.
- Return keys if applicable.
Moving into your New Home
- Verify utilities are working:
- Phone Internet Water Gas Electricity Heating & Cooling
- Change the locks if required
- Assemble beds and make up beds as soon as possible.
- Begin unpacking – start with the kitchen and bathroom and other essentials